PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE - Laine Kohama, President 2015-2016
Aloha Rotary E-Club members and fellow Rotarians!
Having the honor to induct a member is a blessing. There is now another Rotarian that has joined our wonderful organization to do good and make a difference. But, welcoming a Rotarian that has left and has come back is very special too 😃
There were a lot of great ideas that came out of that meeting. Having more projects and options for our members is the best. In addition we discussed having more fun events like the Chocolate tour and watching Kama play. Bringing our Ohana together, having fun, and enjoying each other's friendship is one of the great things about Rotary.
Randy Soriano was a member of another Rotary club here in Hawaii, but due to a change of where he worked, and his role at work, he wasn’t able to make the Rotary meetings he subsequently enjoyed at his club. I’m very happy that Randy found us, and made us his home. Please check out the video to learn more about Randy. Let’s all welcome him to our club, and back into Rotary!
During our last Rotary board meeting, it was wonderful to hear from our members that attended on what type of projects they would like to see our club do. Here are some of the highlights:
- Would like to get together as a group and purchase toiletries for battered and abused women. We could get involved with the Catholic charities of Hawaii. When making the toiletries we could all go out and purchase something to put into the bags and make them together as a club.
- Project for homeless kids. There are summer camps that teach the kids, and have educational/fun things for them to do. There is also a Xmas project too
- Form an alliance with the Boys and Girls club.
- Lead an international project
- Co brand Rotary with a company like Scott’s slippers, then have a fundraiser to sell the Rotary slippers
- Teaming up with the Children’s museum at Kakaako and inviting the homeless children there.
These are all wonderful ideas, and I would like to thank our members for their time and talents. You guys are awesome! Having more projects and options for our members is the best. In addition we discussed having more fun events like the Chocolate tour and watching Kama play. Bringing our Ohana together, having fun, and enjoying each other's friendship is one of the great things about Rotary. Upcoming is the District Assembly at the Halekulani. I’m hoping to see a bunch of you there. Have a great week everyone and I’ll leave you with a quote, “For it is in giving that we receive."
SPEAKER: How Great Leaders Inspire Action
By: Simon Sinek; TED Talks; Uploaded on May 4, 2010http://www.ted.com Simon Sinek presents a simple but powerful model for how leaders inspire action, starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?" His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers -- and as a counterpoint Tivo, which (until a recent court victory that tripled its stock price) appeared to be struggling.
Rotary E-Club of Hawaii Upcoming Events
Please let Ben know if you come up with any events!
All contributions support our service projects and ability to provide programs. Please consider making a donation today.
Donations large and small are appreciated.
How do I makeup at this club?
Are you a visiting Rotarian that would like to do a makeup with us?